Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Writing Process - Personal Essay Draft

My writing process for this draft was kind of ridiculous. I basically had a really hard time coming up with a topic to write about--I didn't want to write about anything I'd written about before, I didn't want to write about anything too cliche, and I didn't want to write about something I learned post-breakup. Therefore, I felt a little limited, and spent days wracking my brain to come up with the "right" topic--an event that was big enough to have had an impact on my life, and something that would make me just want to start writing.

I'm not sure that actually ever happened. I wrote half an essay on a completely different topic because I was running out of time, though it felt wrong the whole time I was doing it. So, partway through, I started reading creative nonfiction, hoping something would inspire me, and eventually the first line of this essay came to me. From there, I was able to write the essay almost completely non-stop (though I cut out some things and moved some things around). And, maybe a little surprisingly, I didn't feel (and still don't) that uncomfortable writing it or having other people read it (which is maybe a good thing?). But I still don't feel very inspired by the piece--I feel like it possibly has potential, but something just feels off about it. So I'm hoping that feedback will help, and I'll be hit by a much-needed burst of ideas/inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment