Monday, May 24, 2010

Writing Process - Explanatory Piece

So, I felt like I was writing a news article for this. Like, I figured out a structure and then just plugged everything in. And I think that's my biggest concern right now--that it reads too much like a regular feature, and that it's lacking in narrative. I'm not sure what would be an appropriate story to put in, though--sitting in Streeter's office, maybe, or getting an acceptance letter in the mail?

There's also so much that I could talk about in relation to Jon Streeter's process--what he requires them to do, how it's structured, everything that he's developed and set up for them. It's all really cool, and I can't decide how much of it is necessary for the piece within the word limit that's imposed.

I also want to talk to a couple more kids, so word limit might be a problem there as well. I'm trying to contact at least one kid who's going out of state (I'd really like to do the Harvard girl, or the Cornell kid), so that I have that kind of perspective to add. I might be able to cut down some of the quotes (though I really like the way Jon talks, I think that he's really amusing), and that oculd help make more space for such an addition.

I'm also unsure about the part I have in there about money--this might be an aspect that could be subtracted. I originally thought that it was important to note that though they don't have trouble getting in, they still do, like everyone else, have trouble deciding where to go due to financial concerns. But I'm not sure it really fits, and I was hesitant about that part.

So basically, it wasn't that hard to necessarily put the piece together--it felt pretty normal to me--but there's a lot I'm unsure about. So we'll see.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your opening. That's been something that I have struggled with throughout the course- how do I ensure that this has a valid narrative? This kind of writing has been very different for me. I thought the part about money was very important, especially today. Think about it though.

    ReplyDelete